Sunday, May 27, 2007

Take a Stitch Tuesday - Crossed Buttonhole Stitch

This week's TAST challenge was Crossed Buttonhole Stitch.


I had a good play with this stitch on the wool felt I made last week. I have some of the other TAST girls to thank for the discovery of how fabulous this stuff is to embroider on - I've been admiring other peoples' samples on wool felt, so much so that I choofed off down to the library and found myself some books on how to make my own wool felt. I think I could get addicted.... just what I need, a new craft addiction :-)

Anyway, crossed buttonhole stitch. I started stitching meandering lines of this stitch, changing the thickness of thread, changing the colours, stitching upside down and in a circle, overlapping a couple of lines, until I felt that I'd produced a fairly broad array of stitches. Then I put my work down and had a look at it, then it struck me...


There was a little creature looking at me! Like a cute little dragon or something. How cool to have a little being bursting forth amidst random stitches - I was quite chuffed and felt somewhat motherly....

Then I took some photos, and this one, taken on a slight angle, created some confusion. Cos now it looks like a bird!


A slightly peeved, prehistoric bird to be precise. With a glittery beaded eyeball.


It just goes to show, there is excitement to be found in embroidery... :-)

5 comments:

Doreen G said...

I love your sample Dy and the way you have photographed it from different angles.Nice work.

Anonymous said...

Lovely stitching and yes I see your little dragon/bird. Has he got a name yet?

Threadspider said...

I love the textures in your work and that dragonbird! Reminds me of some of the drawings on the Painted Threads blog.

Nancilyn (Fiberdabbler) said...

Thank you for sharing your thoughts on making this piece. It is so delightful and beautiful, too.

summer pickles said...

[gasp!] your work is beautiful. thankyou so much for sharing... I am thrilled that your daughter convinced you to start this blog!