Monday, August 20, 2007

Clay Days

I thought I'd show you the results of a day of playing with clay. I bought a few more colours and a couple more moulds and had a great afternoon experimenting with mixing clay colours - I really get excited with the discovery of a good mud colour and had to try hard to not just mix everything together - who did that with plasticine when they were little, come on, own up. :-)

I did a heap of reading on how to make clay canes, which is not unlike the way rock candy is made. It involves packing pieces of different shapes and colours of clay together, wrapping them with rolled out pieces of other colours and squashing it together into a fat tube, then gradually rolling it thinner and thinner so the inner pattern gets smaller and smaller. Then you can cut slices off and make buttons or beads, or butt slices together to make surfaces - the opportunities are endless!

Gosh I love the faces though, I really love them. I keep tipping them out into my hands and sorting through them. They have so much personality don't you think. Or is this just me being a wierdo....
There is a very creepy green guy that has white bead eyes, he looks like a zombie to me

6 comments:

Michelle Watters said...

Youa're making me want to make these things. I love the buttons.

Anonymous said...

They're fabulous. I love the buttons too......and the faces.
KLM

Anonymous said...

they are gorgeous!!

How did you manage to make those textured stones? They are my favourite!!

Liz Needle said...

I love your clay creations. I'm with you, the little faces really get me. Do use a mold or are they sculpted by you?

Kate North said...

He does look like a zombie, I agree. but most of them are just gorgeous... where did you get your face templates? the only one I can find is the one I have, which mostly has faces with eyes closed - harder to add beads :)

Magpie Sue said...

What fun you're having with that clay! Buttons! Faces! It's ALL Fabulous!!!