Saturday, October 28, 2006

Out Of The Mouths Of Babes

I've been on a trip down memory lane. I kept journals when my children were tiny, and I had a re-read this week. One item deserves a mention here.

Allow me to set the scene. I am at the doctor's surgery, and in tow is 16 month old Meshell, an articulate child with an impressive vocabulary (hasn't changed much eh). She is wandering around the doctor's surgery chattering to herself.

I have to have an internal examination, the scourge of being a girl. I'm a bit tense as you can imagine. Ok, it's time to lie on the examination table after removing the appropriate clothing. Meshell notices this and comments "Mummy ni-ni's".

Then Meshell spots my abandoned clothes next to the examination table. She wanders over, picks up my undies and waves them around loudly proclaiming "Mummy pucki pas" (plastic pants for those needing interpretation), then proceeds to wear them on her head whilst continuing her pottering around the room. Then of course, as is the way with a toddler, she wouldn't give them back and I was faced with the prospect of chasing her around the room whilst nude from the waist down. Thankfully I was able to use my superior grown-up intellect and tricked her into bringing them to me with the bribe of a biscuit.

The doctor struggled to maintain his professional composure and I have to say that the whole experience was lightened up nicely. Kids!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks mum. =P

Dy said...

Oh, I'm only just getting started darling. Hope you don't embarrass easily. :-)

Anonymous said...

My mum kept diaries for me and my sister and brother as well. She gave them to us when each of us reached...14, I think. Oh, I love reading mine! Although admittely I did not wear my mum's pants on my head. :D:D:D