Monday, April 30, 2007

Take a Stitch Tuesday - Running Stitch


This week's stitch for Take A Stitch Tuesday was Running Stitch. Nice and simple, but so many possibilities! What to do, what to do... the only thing that sprang to mind was echo quilting, you know, when the same shape keeps repeating as an outline of itself. I really like echo quilting so I kept that in mind as a starting point. As I've been wanting to start stitching a stash of bookmarks, with this one it began with a few fused circles of nice earthy hand dyed fabrics. Then it was a case of thread the needle and see what happens!


I hadn't planned to cover the entire surface with stitches but I got a bit carried away... :-)


I left a tiny margin unstitched along the edges which I flipped to the back and ironed flat. Then I fused a piece of plain fabric on the back to hide all the thread ends and to secure the turned over edges. Then I frayed the ends to finish it off. I quite like it, particularly the colours - very Australian. :-)

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

How cool!! The stitching makes it look as if the bookmark is vibrating. Wow, battery-operated bookmark!!

Anonymous said...

I agree, very Australian colours. Great work.

Anonymous said...

You are soooooooooo creative Dy. Just gorgeous!!

Cori

Elizabet said...

I adore this bookmark. I've just spent the last half hours searching through all my links to refind it after seeing it yesterday!

I'm off to make myself a bookmark with running stitch!